For some reason in Cora Beth’s baby book under holidays there’s a picture slot for Cinco de Mayo! While I usually go eat Mexican food on Cinco de Mayo it isn’t really a holiday I thought I’d have to document during my baby’s first year of life! I’m not one to leave a space blank though. So I figured if we’re going to celebrate why not go big! Go big or go home right? To help with the celebration I made this DIY Fiesta Banner to hang up!
Can you believe that through out high school and most of college I refused to eat Mexican food? To be honest I’m not sure why, but the only Mexican food I liked was my mom’s tacos. All the time my friends wanted to go eat at Camino and I’d always opt out of going. Now, however, I’ve grown to love Mexican food! Give me some guacamole and a quesadilla and I’m a happy girl and a margarita doesn’t hurt either! It’s sad to think that I missed out on years of yummy food, but I’m still not a huge fan of queso dip (I’m weird I know).
DIY Fiesta Banner
This fiesta banner could totally be made out of paper as well but I had some felt collecting dusting in my craft closet. Plus there’s something about felt and pom poms that make my crafter heart do a little flutter!
Felt in the color(s) of your choice, I used the 8×12 sheets
Scissors or rotary cutter
Pen or Pencil
- Cut your felt to be 4 inches wide and 12 inches long.
- Then, fold your felt in half and cut a diagonal line, long end at 8 inches and the short end at 6, roughly.You know have 2 possible options for a banner!
- Next, draw out block letters onto white felt measuring about 4 inches long and 2 inches wide and cut them out.
- Then, glue your letters onto the banner pieces (I used regular ole Elmer’s).
- Run two large stitches through each felt piece using your needle and embroidery thread.
- Then, run pom poms on each end with the needle (optional).
- Lastly, knot the thread (several times) after your final pom pom is on to ensure they don’t come off.
While of course Cinco de Mayo is only once a year you could also use this banner to spice up your taco Tuesday! And making this banner has me so excited to chow down on some Mexican food! Even though Cora Beth isn’t eating solids yet she does love the bright colors! I guess I’ll just have to eat enough tacos for the both of us, ha! And yes I totally did snack on the chips and salsa while I was taking these pictures.
Happy Cinco de Mayo, I hope your’s is a real fiesta!
Like this post? I’d love for you to pin it!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY: